Welcome to our journey

Mark and I would like to thank you for visiting our blog. As we begin our journey towards parenthood we wanted to share our experiences with friends and family. I hope you enjoy following our journey of becoming a family.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

25 Week Ultrasound Update


On Monday, December 12th I had a growth scan to check on Blue Bean’s progress at 25 weeks.  The plan is for me to have ultrasounds every 4-6 weeks to check on Blue Bean’s growth because I am on a beta blocker for migraine prevention.  A Fetal-Maternal doctor (high risk doctor) is the one that reviews the ultrasound as the tech take the images.  It is nice to know they are monitoring Blue Bean’s so closely and I will take any chance I get to see my little guy.  The ultrasound showed that Blue Bean is doing great.  He weighed 1lb 14oz and is measuring right on for growth and development.  He was kind of shy at first and wouldn’t show his face.  He had is little hands up in front of his face but eventually the ultrasound tech got some really nice profile pictures.  It is really cool that you can see the heart pumping away and all four chambers are visible.  His heartbeat was 137 beats per minute which is good, a little slower than it had been but still good.  I am very happy with his progress and hopes he continues to develop on track.

In addition to checking Blue Bean’s growth they also checked my cervix.  The doctor did find that my cervix is thinning (also referred to as shortening) and funneling.  At 25 weeks, my cervix should be between 3-5 cm in length.  My cervix length was around 2.5 cm. With a short cervix I have a risk of preterm labor (premature labor) and I need to watch closely for signs I may be in labor. The funneling means that the cervix is thinning from inside out (or that is at least how I understand it) and increase a risk of premature membrane rupture.  The doctor decided it was best for me to restrict my activity over the next 2 weeks and then have my cervical length rechecked.  Since it is finals week at work and then the students will be gone, I pretty much can manage to work from my desk most of the day.  No lifting anything over 10 lbs, no long periods of walking or being on my feet, and no stairs (I can go up and down once a day at home).  When I am at home I am lying down or sitting.  There is definitely some nervousness and worrying going on but I will feel better when I have my follow up ultrasound on 12/28.  Bed rest is a possibility in the future, we will just have to wait and see.  I am asking Santa to keep little Blue Bean warm and cozy in my uterus as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment