Welcome to our journey

Mark and I would like to thank you for visiting our blog. As we begin our journey towards parenthood we wanted to share our experiences with friends and family. I hope you enjoy following our journey of becoming a family.

Friday, September 16, 2011

And the doctor forgot about me...

Today, I had my monthly prenatal appointment.  I had been having a rough couple of days because the all day sickness returned after a 4 day break and then started having migraines which kept me in the dark and quiet of my bedroom.  Add to that I seemed to be more emotional today than usual.  Since I wasn't feeling well at all I called my mom to take me up to the doctors.

The appointment was going smoothly, I answered all the doctors questions and she answered mine.  Then it was time to hear the baby's heartbeat.  I got up on the table and she spread the goo on my tummy.  She was moving the doppler around but couldn't find anything.  After a few minutes of trying, she decided an internal would be needed.  So she gave me a sheet and told me to undress from waist down and she would be back.  I did as I was told.  I wasn't too worried at first about her not being able to find the heartbeat because I have a tilted uterus which makes external ultrasounds/doppler difficult in early pregnancy.

I have no clue how much time passed since there wasn't a clock in the room and my phone was in my purse.  The longer I waited the more worried I got.  I started thinking maybe the doctor is worried there is no heartbeat and she had to consult someone.  So many thoughts went through my head as I sat there waiting.  With no sense of time, I had no idea if it had been 15 minutes or 1 hour.  At one point in time the nurse knocked and came in and said she didn't know if I was still in the room or not and was just checking.  I told her I was waiting for the doctor to return.  So I waited some more.  If I had to guess I probably waited a total of 45 minutes.

Finally, I hear a knock and the doctor comes in with a puzzled look on her face.  She says, "Oh, you are still here, are you waiting on your flu shot?"  My response, "no I am waiting for you to return to get an internal view of the baby because you couldn't find the heartbeat."  That is when she tells me, "I completely forgot about you, I am so sorry."  She then proceeded to tell me that when she left me to undress she got pulled in on an emergency and then to the next patient.  It was clear she felt horrible and said next time if I am waiting that long come tell someone.  The bonus of my long wait and all the worrying was I got another ultrasound.  I got to see blue bean and see the little heart beating strong.  So while it was a very long appointment in the end I left knowing my blue bean is doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment